It sounds like your aquarium has hair algae
How to be sure
Your aquarium is looking pretty messy! Hideous, hairy, stringy, matted algae has taken over, blocking light and tying your décor up in knots – your fish aren’t too keen on it either.
Step 1 – Treat your aquarium
- Treat your aquarium with Anti Hair Algae You can check how much you need to dose here.
- Test your aquarium water for high nitrate levels and treat with Nitrasafe.
- Clean your filter and check there aren’t any blockages.
- Ensure your aquarium is not positioned in direct sunlight. Add an Auto Timer to mimic a (10 hours on, 14 hours off) natural day/night cycle.
Step 2 – Support your fish
- If your fish are gasping at the surface, increase oxygen levels by adding an air pump.