It sounds like your fish has bacterial gill disease
How to be sure
Bacterial Gill Disease will attack your fish’s gills, causing them to rot and erode. This will make it harder for your fish to breath, so you may see it gasping for air at the water surface or rapid gill movement. Unsurprisingly, your fish will also have little appetite and may be losing weight.
Step 1 – Treat your fish
- Remove the carbon filter out of your filtration – but don’t forget to return it 7 days after the last dose.
- Use Anti Internal Bacteria treatment treatment, you can check the correct dosage for your aquarium size here.
- Also dose with Aqualibrium First Aid Salt – it helps boost your fish’s ability to fight the illness.
- Give your fish some time-out to recover – avoid excessive cleaning, re-decorating or adding new fishy friends.
- To re-treat, or treat another problem, follow the on pack guidelines for using more treatment.
Watch Out! – Treatments can sometimes reduce oxygen levels in the water. If you see fish gasping at the surface, you can increase oxygen by adding an air pump.